Vacation Cruises and Daytona Beach Lawyers
Vacation cruises are a popular leisure activity for many people, and for East Central Florida residents they are convenient with Carnival Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International and Norwegian Cruise Lines operating out of Port Canaveral in Brevard County.
But Daytona Beach lawyers also know of dangers that can lead to legal entanglements which prospective cruise passengers should be aware of.
A wrongful death lawsuit was filed in October 2011 in Seattle by a cruise passenger against the Holland America Line after his wife died during a snorkeling excursion sponsored by the cruise ship. She had just entered the water from the dive boat to start snorkeling when the boat operator put it in reverse and the propeller struck her. She later died in a hospital in Belize. The lawsuit also names the Belizean operator of the dive boat as a defendant.
The Port Authority in Belize found the dive boat operator negligent and suspended his captain’s license. But that may do the woman’s family little good, because the Belizean company is expected to claim it is not subject to U.S. jurisdiction.
Excursion operators, such as the dive boat company, often sign contracts with the cruise operator that stipulate any dispute will be resolved in U.S. courts. Holland America is a unit of Miami-based Carnival.
As for suing a cruise line, you need to check the contract you signed to go on the cruise. You may be bound by certain disclaimers and a very short Statute of Limitations period. If you need help determining your legal rights, you can consult with Daytona Beach lawyers to determine your rights.
The website LegalMatch also identifies the following potential Cruise Ship dangers Daytona Beach lawyers think you should note:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Food-related illnesses
- Shipboard emergencies, such as fires.
- Other water-related accidents, such as drowning.
- Assaults, sexual or other, by crew members and other passengers.
- Malpractice by the doctor of the ship
- Legionnaires’ disease and other illnesses that can spread through problematic ventilation or infected water.
Daytona Beach lawyers don’t want you think they are trying to scare you away from taking a cruise. They are fun. But awareness of potential hazards is one of the best safety measures you can take.
For possible wrongful death and personal injury cases, you can consult with the Daytona Beach lawyers of Seitz & Tresher, a Florida-based law firm.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- Daytona Beach Lawyer Rick Tresher Discusses Wrongful Death of a Sixteen Year Old Special Needs Child
- Big Changes in Rental Car Liability That Can Affect You
- Daytona Beach Lawyers Discuss Back to School Safety
- Your Daytona Beach Lawyers Know Personal Injury
- Interstates Amplify Accidents
- Treyvon Martin – A Florida Wrongful Death Case?
- Pet Treats Center of Product Liability Case
- A Jury of Your Peers?